Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Things I learned from a 60-day challenge

Well it's finally here. The day I've anticipated for 60 days, is finally here. This Friday will mark 60 days since I have consumed sugar, caffeine or alcohol. I started this cleanse 58 days ago in an effort to remove items that I felt were addictive and toxic from my diet. I am extremely excited to indulge in a glass of wine with my meal on friday night and yet I'm approaching this ending with some amount of apprehension. I'm almost fearful of going back to my "old ways". I know myself and I know that I'm not good with moderation. I tend to fall toward the extremes of things. I like to workout overly hard, compete with a vengance, binge on unhealthy foods, make myself cup after cup of home-brewed espresso, and drink to excess. It's a little embarrassing to admit this since I am supposed to be an example of health and wellness for my clients, but the fact of the matter is that we are all human and we all have our flaws. Sometimes I think it's good for my clients to see my transparency and realize that I too have struggles with food. Living a healthy lifestyle is a journey, one in which you have to make the choice each day to treat your body with love and respect.

And now a time of reflection as I look back on the things I've learned about myself from my 60-day cleanse....................................

1. I have a lot more self-control then I ever thought I did
2. Sugar is terrible for you. It causes stomach problems and bloating and generally makes you feel like crap.
3. Energy should come from whole foods, not caffeine buzzes (although buzzes are kind of fun)
4. I have a hard time with moderation. I'm an all or nothing type of girl.
5. I can have plenty of fun without alcohol in my life and I feel a hell-of-alot better the next morning.
6. I am extremely competitive in nature. Once the word was out that I was doing this there was no stopping me.
7. People are supportive of my efforts. There wasn't one person in my life who spoke negatively about my efforts.

And before I end this blog I have to give a shout out to one of my HCF clients who has taken up the challenge for herself and has committed to her own 60-day program (over the holiday season no less). Jessica, we salute you and support your efforts.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Abby! I am so proud of you! It is dang hard to do this challenge!
    Thanks for the salute and the shout out! Much appreciated. I'm gonna be dreaming of pumpkin pie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a tough week doing the challenge and failing rather miserably,I reread your post. I realized that you weren't as different from me as I thought.

    Knowing that you also have days when you eat unhealthy foods and have too much coffee, made me realize that perhaps I was being too hard on myself. What I have learned about this challenge is that if I have a few drinks, I eat more fat and sugar and I gain weight fast.

    Not only that, I don't feel very good. I can't do things in moderation either. I wish that I could, but I have to teach myself that food is not love. Shout out Abby for making it 60 days! Brava!

    Also, "Food is Love" by Geneen Roth is fantastic. It is about one woman's journey to realize that food doesn't really give you love and to let go of that unhealthy love affair with "good" and "bad" foods. She recommends being less judgmental and more forgiving of our human foibles in this department. The forgiveness and love of self, actually lead to her own weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby -- would you be willing to be a guest blogger on HOTmama in our Wellness Wednesday section? I think this particular posting would be really helpful to our readership, as we are all trying to get/stay healthy and set good life-long examples for our children.
    If you ARE interested, please PM me at megdezutti@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete