Thursday, November 5, 2009

Eat-Clean Hummus

I recently purchased a new cookbook called the Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook. So, far every recipe that I have tried has been delicious and easy to prepare. I feel like I must share some of these awesome recipes on my blog because they are just to good to keep all to myself. Personally, I LOVE hummus. It's the perfect snack with protein, carb, and healthy fat all rolled in to one tasty concoction. I love to dip whole wheat pita, carrots, celery, tomatoes, etc. in to my dip. I recommend trader joe's brand mini whole wheat pitas. They don't have high fructose corn syrup or sugar of any kind hidden in them and they are dirt cheap. I keep my freezer stocked at all times.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
1 tsp. sea salt
1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste you can find at the grocery)
juice of 2 fresh lemons
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
*you may need to add warm water to your recipe to get it to your desired consistency

PREPARATION:
Place all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse for a few minutes until well combined but still a little coarse. Adjust seasonings as desired. Transfer to serving bowl and serve or cover in tupperware and keep in fridge. Keeps well.

Makes 32 one-tbsp servings

*I usually half the recipe because it makes quite a lot but my husband and I really like hummus so we go through it very quickly. I usually make a fresh batch every weekend.

*This is super easy to whip up and much better than the store bought versions

NUTRITIONAL VALUE PER 1 TABLESPOON SERVING:
Calories: 35/Calories from fat: 15/Protein: 1g/Carbs: 4g/Fiber: 0.7g/Fat: 1g/Sodium: 94mg




No comments:

Post a Comment