Sunday, November 15, 2009

Split Pea and Root Vegetable Soup

I made this fabulous soup for dinner tonight. It seemed a fitting choice for a chilly fall day. I made it earlier in the day and let it simmer in the pot for a couple of hours. This really made the flavor come alive and softened up the peas to a more soup-like consistency. For simplicity sake, I didn't include the turkey, although, I'm sure that would have been delicious. This was really easy to prepare and well worth the wait. Another rave review from my hubby.

INGREDIENTS:
6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 Med. carrots, chopped
2 Lrg. parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 Med. leeks, white and lightest green parts only, well washed and chopped
1/2 C. fresh parsley (I used dried, probably about 3 tsp.)
2 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried marjoram
3 bay leaves
11 C. low-fat, low-sodium chicken stock (I did about 9 cups because I like a thicker soup)
3 C. dried split peas
1 1/2 roasted turkey breast, bone in

PREPARATION:
1. Heat olive oil in heavy stockpot over low heat. Add root vegetables and herbs. Cover and cook until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.

2. Add all the chicken stock, peas and roasted meat. Bring to a simmer, cover partially and cook until peas are tender and the soup begins to thicken a little. This takes about 45 minutes.

3. Remove turkey and cut meat into one-inch cubes. Discard the bone. Remove bay leaves. Return meat to soup and serve.

*Again, I didn't put any turkey in my soup and it was fantastic without it. We didn't even miss it.

**I recommend Trader Joe's brand low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth

NUTRITIONAL VALUE PER SERVING:
Calories:405/ Calories from fat:8g/ Protien:35g/ Carbs:45.5g/ Fiber:17g/ Sugars:6g/ Fat:9g/ Sodium:390mg

SERVINGS: 10


No comments:

Post a Comment